Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Let's Start With Some Tall Tales

Hi, and welcome to the inaugural post of my blog, Ripped from the Pages! I love fact, and I love fiction. And I especially love when the two get a little mixed up. Movies that claim to be “ripped from the headlines” -- awesome. Novels ripped from the pages of history -- even awesome-er. So let’s get to it!

My first post is inspired by my 9-year-old son. His phenomenal teacher, Mrs. Constantine, passed out awards to all the boys and girls of the class -- the peacemaker of the class got the Ghandi award, the class clown got the Bill Cosby award, the quiet girl who is definitely going to do great things one day got the Rosa Parks award. All very thoughtful and educational presentations. As a mama, I got chocked up.

My son got the Johnny Appleseed award for, as the certificate explains, his compassion, keen interest in nature, and his love for all living things.

We all know the story of Johnny Appleseed. Good ol’ Johnny takes his place among American folk tales alongside Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill. Giant blue oxen, lassoing the moon, planting apple trees across America while wearing a pot on one’s head. Tall tales for sure.

But, as it turns out, Johnny Appleseed isn’t just a character. He was a real person. And, as a new book by Howard Means points out, almost certainly insane.



Gee, thanks, Mrs. Constantine.

Yep, Johnny Appleseed, or John Chapman, as his mother called him, was born in 1774 and grew up in Massachusetts. While still a young man, he left home a started planting apple seeds and spreading his own brand of spirituality and environmentalism. It’s that nurturing and love of nature that inspired my son’s teacher to bestow the Johnny Appleseed award on my son. Probably not the insanity part.

Maybe Johnny Appleseed was insane. He’s not the only historical figure accused of being insane because of his beliefs. Joan of Arc, or to take a more current example, Ralph Nader, did things that, let’s face it, the sane among us would probably never consider. I’m just not convinced they’re all that insane. And I don't think we should try to discount or diminish their actions by calling them crazy.

So Sam, I’m glad you love nature. And I’m glad you care about all living things. And if you decide to do something with your life that other people say is crazy, baby, that’s fine by me.

4 comments:

  1. Great inaugural post. I always loved the "tall tales" growing up. Looking forward to future post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! And now I'm curious about Johnny Appleseed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken and Jennifer,
    Thanks for stopping by. And thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogosphere! I agree with you that "insanity is in the eye of the beholder". Before I started my blog I thought bloggers were just exhibitionists but now that you and I are bloggers I see it as another platform for creativity!

    ReplyDelete